Thursday, June 3, 2010

Steamed Garlic Spears

Think asparagus is the only slender, tender reed that epitomizes spring? Here is another option to consider.

These are local garlic spears, the flower tops from elephant garlic. Prior to buying them last week, I was unfamiliar with them, and expected them to be strongly flavored like ramps or salad onions. Instead, they have a very mild garlic flavor and are more reminiscent of asparagus or fiddlehead ferns.

Their labels instructed me to steam them for 3-5 minutes, which I did, tossing them with asparagus (steamed separately for a bit longer) as well as lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. They were delicious enough that I've since bought a second batch. I think I may steam the spears again, and this time slice them and toss them with pappardelle, peas and goat cheese or ricotta.

No comments:

Post a Comment