Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bieler Pere et Fils 2010

It's been a warm, summer-like day here in Seattle, and baby Calvin is down for the night, and I'm enjoying the best rose (with an accent on the "e," which I can't remember how to do), which is noted in the title above. Go buy it! Now! It's awesome! Though I may be biased as I haven't drunk a whole lot of wine late.y I mean lately. (Hiccup.)

So, baby Calvin Kian Sahebjami was born on February 9. He was 7 pounds and 20 inches of pure smiley joy. We've been getting to know each other, and he just turned 3 (months). My life has consisted mostly of breastfeeding every three hours, though nights have gotten better. For example, tonight he went down at 10:00 or so, and likely won't wake up until 4:00 or 5:00. Believe it or not, that is considered great! I could go on and on about the topics of breastfeeding and sleep, but I will resist for the purpose of this blog and confine those comments to my mommy listservs.

Dara has been a champ at making dinner and keeping me nourished. I haven't eaten necessarily seasonally; rather, I've been trying to eat a high-protein, low-saturated fat diet to lose my pregnancy pounds and trim down down for summer. Tonight, for example, we had grilled wild salmon, accompanied by zucchini, yellow summer squash, red bell pepper and fresh oregano sauteed in olive oil. Last night, we ate grilled chicken and a spinach salad. And on Sunday morning, we shared Mother's Day brunch with neighbors: omelets, fresh fruit and whole wheat sourdough toast.

So you see, there's nothing much to brag about, culinarily speaking, but this weekend we're going to reward ourselves by eating at Beast, the Portland restaurant whose young female chef is kicking a*# on Bravo's "Top Chef Masters." We are so excited to have a Saturday night date (it's also our 12th wedding anniversary) and to have Gramps and Nana take care of Cal.

I'm hoping this dinner will serve as a source of inspiration, and after that, I'll expect to go to neighborhood farmers markets and come up with new things to make and share with you. Little Cal's food source is limited, but that doesn't mean ours has to be. So, stay tuned, lovelies -- Seasonal Seattle is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment